In the rapidly evolving automotive and battery industries, venting technology plays a major role in their, safety and reliability. PorVent®, a frontrunner in Materials Sciences, leads the charge with its cutting-edge PTFE membrane technology, offering robust pressure release venting solutions for electric vehicle batteries with sensitive automotive electronics. This article provides insight into the rigorous testing procedures that underscore the quality and safety of PorVent®’s venting systems, which include their Battery vent plugs and automotive vents.
Prior to market introduction, these pressure release vents undergo stringent tests to meet safety and quality standards, encompassing IP 66/68/69K testing, flammability assessments, temperature cycle trials, salt fog and mechanical impact tests and vibration tests conducted by NABL approved external laboratories. PorVent® remains dedicated to delivering dependable solutions in the realm of vents for automotive electronics and lithium-ion battery venting. By testing their vents in external labs as well as rigorously testing them in-house for harsh environmental durability.
In automotive and battery applications, vents play a critical role in maintaining safe operating conditions. Comprehensive testing is imperative to guarantee their performance under a range of demanding circumstances that lithium-ion batteries and automotive electronics face. Ensuring that a venting system can withstand a wide array of environmental challenges is pivotal. From extreme temperatures to corrosive environments, comprehensive testing ensures that the venting system will perform reliably throughout its operational life.
-Role of Pressure Release Vents Pressure release vents are especially vital in battery packs, where safety and efficiency are paramount, contributing to lithium-ion battery safety. These vents protect the enclosure from contaminants, prevent the buildup of potentially hazardous pressures, ensuring safe and optimal operation. Without effective pressure release mechanisms, batteries face the risk of catastrophic failure. The rigorous testing of these vents is thus essential to guarantee their performance under diverse conditions. AIS-156 has made it mandatory for battery packs to have pressure release vents. PorVent® vents are engineered to provide reliable protection for your equipment in harsh environments.
In the realm of quality control, a series of meticulous tests are conducted in-house to ensure the excellence of a product:
Water intrusion pressure test
Airflow durability test
Leak durability test
Each of these tests plays a critical role in guaranteeing that our products meet and exceed the expectations of our customers, delivering excellence in both creativity and technical precision.
– Temperature Cycle Test (IEC 60068-2-14): This test simulates the drastic temperature fluctuations that a venting system might encounter in real-world applications,. By subjecting the system to extreme cold and hot cycles, we ensure its integrity under adverse conditions.
– Flammability Test (UL 94 V-0): In scenarios where fire risks are present, it is imperative that the venting system does not contribute to combustion. This test ensures that the material used in the venting system is self-extinguishing, providing an added layer of safety for lithium-ion battery safety.
– Salt Fog Test (IEC 60068-2-11): For applications in coastal or marine environments, resistance to salt corrosion is crucial. This test evaluates the system’s ability to withstand exposure to salt-laden air, relevant to lithium-ion batteries. As this test ensures they don’t corrode during operation.
– IP 66: This test verifies the system’s resistance to dust and powerful jets of water from any directions, ensuring its suitability for challenging environments.
– IP 67: In scenarios where submersion in water may occur, this test confirms the system’s ability to remain watertight in 1 m Depth and for 30min, which is important for battery safety.
– IP 68: The assessment is conducted to ascertain the extent of safeguarding against complete dust penetration and immersion in water at a depth of 1 metre for a designated duration.
– IP69K: This test subjects the system to high-pressure jets of water at elevated temperatures, ensuring its robustness in demanding conditions, which are critical for battery safety.
– Vibration Test (AIS 156, Annexure 8A): In automotive and other applications, the system may be subjected to vibrations during operation. This test evaluates its ability to withstand such conditions. This test is followed by an IPX7 test that confirms the system’s ability to remain watertight in 1 m Depth and for 30 min after operational vibrations
– Mechanical Impact Test (IK 10): This test assesses the system’s resistance to mechanical impacts, ensuring its durability in rugged environments.
a) Durability Tests: These are conducted on vents to assess their endurance, specifically focusing on airflow and leak durability. These tests ensure that the vents can consistently maintain proper airflow and prevent leaks over extended periods of use.
b) Material Compatibility Tests
a) Contribution of Testing Processes: The extensive testing processes instil confidence in manufacturers, end-users, and regulatory bodies. They are a testament to PorVent®’s dedication to safety and reliability, including for applications.
b) Ensuring Reliability and Safety: By subjecting their venting systems to rigorous testing, PorVent® guarantees reliability and safety in the most demanding environments, including electric vehicle battery safety, where PorVent® Battery vent plugs are extensively used
PorVent® remains resolutely committed to pioneering advancements in vent technology, unwavering in our pursuit of continuous enhancement. Our enduring dedication to innovation is exemplified through our ongoing research and development initiatives, aimed at maintaining our preeminent position in the realms of safety and performance within the automotive and battery application domains.
These are some observations that can be confirmed with the tests that PorVent®® conducts on their pressure release vents:
-Continuous pressure relief enhances battery lifespan.
-It prevents faults caused by moisture accumulation.
-The membrane burst function allows rapid gas release during adverse conditions like thermal runaway events, averting enclosure damage.
-Membrane-based PRVS lacks moving parts (e.g., springs or counterweights), eliminating issues such as part failure, fatigue, water contamination, and long-term reliability concerns.
This article underscores the paramount importance of rigorous testing in ensuring the quality and safety of automotive and battery venting systems, with a focus on lithium-ion battery safety. PorVent®’s PTFE membrane technology, coupled with its unwavering commitment to innovation, places it at the pinnacle of providing reliable solutions for battery venting, lithium-ion battery safety,,and protective venting for automotive components,. For manufacturers and end-users alike, PorVent® stands as a trusted partner in ensuring the integrity of venting systems.
PreVent® to have a registered mark wherever mentioned.